The AWS Configuration Wizard is designed to help configure Heimdall in the context of other AWS services, specifically RDS and Elasticache. By following the prompts, a complete configuration for the driver or proxy configuration will be created, which can then be used in your application. Before beginning the wizard, you should have configured:
- An IAM role with at least read-only access to EC2, RDS and Elasticache;
- Your RDS instance or cluster configured;
- An Elasticache (Redis) instance–Memcache is available for caching, but the Redis protocol is strongly suggested to allow full invalidation synchronization support.
Ideally, your application should already be tested against the RDS instance before setting up Heimdall–this is to insure that no other factors are impacting the application in the environment before the introduction of Heimdall.
Once the RDS and Elasticache instances are configured, the wizard will guide you through the following steps:
- IAM key and secret key–if this step fails to move to the next once “next” is selected, please verify that the key and secret key are correct, and have read-only access to elasticache, rds, and ec2, so that configuration information can be retrieved.
- Region configuration–this is the region to extract the RDS and Elasticache configuration from. The Heimdall central manager does not need to be running in AWS for this to work properly.
- RDS and Elasticache cluster selection and configuration. In the provided drop-downs, the available RDS and Elasticache clusters should be listed and can be selected. Please also enter the username and password desired to access the database. This username and password will also be configured for proxy mode authentication in the case of MySQL and PostgreSQL.
Once the wizard is completed, you should be able to check the Virtual Database, Data Source, and Rules tabs to verify that the configuration is as desired. In particular, in the Data Source tab, please verify that the newly configured source is accessible via the “test” button. If it is not, please verify the configured information, and correct. In particular, SQL Server configurations will likely have to configure the proper database in the JDBC URL.